SMTP authentication fails (only with Roundcube)

Christine Kluka cvkluka at cerebellum.biz
Fri Mar 30 02:07:11 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've been reading your forum posts on this issue, and they point to a
permissions failure in the database.  MySQL is populating new users in
the users table, but no privileges are listed for them on SHOW GRANTS.
So I granted all privileges on the roundcube database to a primary user
and verified that this user has all privileges:

mysql> SHOW GRANTS FOR user1;
| Grants for user1@%
| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'user1'@'%'
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `roundcubemail`.`roundcubemail` TO 'user1'@'%'

2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

This seems like overkill, since user1 only cares about user1's settings
(not those for user2, 3, 4 etc), but I read that db permissions might be
the problem, so I opened everything to user1 to test this.

I set the smtp_auth_type to LOGIN (also tried PLAIN and DIGEST-MD5), but
sending mail fails (for user1 and all other users) with an SMTP
authentication failure.

Finally, not knowing whether I have a PHP mail() problem, I alternately
tried 'mail.mydomain.com' and 'localhost' for the smtp_server setting,
but that also makes no difference :(

I can send mail from Linux and Windows POP3 and IMAP clients on my LAN,
but not Roundcube!

I am using SASL with Cyrus IMAP, and an LDAP database.  What to look
for?

--
Just the madness, not the science...