Upgrade & attachments

Thomas Bruederli roundcube at gmail.com
Tue May 22 16:22:25 CEST 2007

Manuel Giorgini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded an installation today, from 0.1-beta2 to 0.1-RC1.
>
> The reason for the upgrade was that a few of our users were unable to download
> some attachments, as pdf for example.
>
> On the Message view pane, the attachment name would show fine ("filename.pdf")
> but when clicking on it, the name offered by the requester was un-decoded and
> looked like =?ISO-8859-1?filename=pdf?= (I cannot remember the precise code
> but you get the point, I hope).

Tested and works for me. Filenames are decoded as any other parts of the
message.

> My idea was to fix this manually by using, for the download page, the same
> code used for the message display. Before doing that, however, I checked for
> any new versions and I found RC1, so I installed it (updating the mysql
> database and all the relevant files as specified in UPGRADING).
>
> To my horror though now the messages look _completely_ unfiltered; there
> doesn't seem to be any replacement (e.g., the letter "à" is unrendered and
> stays as =EC0 in the text of the message); what's worse the attachment is not
> even recognized anymore; instead if "filename.pdf" in the message display page
> I get a clickable link titled "file_2"; the download page prompts me to save a
> file; by opening that file I get the whole encoded file, as would appear in
> the message source.

Looks like RoundCube cannot find the Content-Transfer-Encoding
specification of your message.

Message parsing in general is now done by the IMAP server and RoundCube
only displays the message structure as stated by the mail server. Maybe
you're IMAP server does not work as expected.

> I checked for any mention of charsets or locale conversion in main.inc.php and
> found none. It really bugs me that the overall performance seems to have
> decreased with the upgrade but I am positive that I missed something. I would
> appreciate your help. I wouldn't know what to attach to my message but let me
> know if you need more information.

In my tests, performance is better than in 0.1-beta2...

Please provide more details about your environment and attach a sample
message (mail source packed as zip) which causes the described problems.

~Thomas