GoogieSpell privacy

Thomas Bruederli roundcube at gmail.com
Thu May 24 10:19:43 CEST 2007

2007/5/23, David Förster <david at dfoerster.de>:
> Hi there,
>
> as far as I understood it from the FAQ spellchecking is done by sending the
> complete message to a Google server. Is this correct?

Right. Of course you can disable it.

> Don't you have any privacy concerns? In a professional environment it's not
> acceptable to have potentially sensitive information sent to some third
> party. (If done so, this should at least be clearly advertised.)

It's up to those who implement RoundCube to be concerned and to
advertise the users. We're just trying to keep the requirements for
the PHP environment as low as possible and Google's spell checking is
a good way to provide this functionality on a $4.99 hosting box.

> Are there any plans to implement a "local" spellcheck (e.g. by using PHP's
> pspell bindings)?

As an an alternative, you can use the Nox Spell Server which provides
the same interface as Google Spell. See 'spellcheck_uri' in
config/main.inc.php

Also, everybody is welcome to contribute code that implements ans
other spell checking solution with RoundCube...

~Thomas