[RCU] Word wrapping outgoing mail in 0.1-beta2

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Dec 6 23:34:02 CET 2008

Hi all,

I'm not sure whether this needs to go here or to dev@, so I'll try here first.

I'm currently using 0.1-beta2 and want to have outgoing (i.e. composed) emails automatically
wordwrap at around 75-80 characters.  Without this, some MUAs and mail archiving utilities
render the emails with paragraphs on one long line (see, for example,
http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2008-December/062317.html).

Looking at the code (program/steps/mail/sendmail.inc) it seems this has been deliberately
commented out, and has been since the original code was added to subversion (see
http://trac.roundcube.net/browser/trunk/roundcubemail/program/steps/mail/sendmail.inc?rev=101#L170).

Can I simply comment line 170 and uncomment line 171 to get outgoing emails wrapped?  If so, why has
it been commented out?

I notice that 0.2-beta looks as if it wraps outgoing messages by default (see
http://trac.roundcube.net/browser/branches/release-0.2-beta/program/steps/mail/sendmail.inc?rev=2070#L271).
At this point in time, upgrading isn't an option, but if the trivial change to the 0.1-beta2
code isn't going to fix things, then I can try to schedule some downtime for our production
users.

Thanks for any help and advice you can provide,

Matt