[RCU] Features? #2

Alex Walker alex at x3ja.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 15:35:00 CET 2008

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 08:53:16 +0100, jody <jody at ifi.uzh.ch> wrote:
>> Yeah, this is an issue.  I guess you could write a fairly simple web
>> interface to create/read/edit a procmail script using simple recipes.
>> Putting this into RC seems a little in the wrong place to me, but I can
>> understand the need.  But again, I'd probably try and opt for a
> filtering
>> system that would work no matter what client you used.  I wonder if
> other
>> webmail packages offer this - I've only used squirrelmail and RC, so I
>> don't have wide experience really.
>
> In such a case RC would simply offer a tool for editing -
> wouldn't the .procmail be valid if you would use another mail client?

This is true, but typically RC will be able to read/write from a user's
mail directory and not from their home directly.
Procmail reads it configuration typically from a user's home directory
(~/.procmailrc) which RC wouldn't be able to write to, not at the moment
anyway.
Allowing RC to write to a user's home directory opens up some other
potential security issues I'd imagine.

Perhaps there could be an option that you can enable for procmail
integration where you have to set each user's .procmailrc to be writable by
RC or something.

Interesting idea... I'm no expert in PHP, so I don't really know where to
start...  perhaps make it a feature suggestion on trac?

Alex