[RCU] Mass Deletions

bb bb at 0brg.net
Fri Jan 25 00:42:21 CET 2008

Charlie Hazlett wrote:
> I do not empty my spam folder daily and in no time at all it can contain
> over 1000 messages......give it a week and there might be over 10,000.
>
> I have been online with the same email addresses for a dozen years and
> the spam tends to build up.
>

> On 1/24/2008, "bb" <bb at 0brg.net> wrote:
>
>> chasd wrote:
>>> Playing with RoundCube a bit more, as a work around you could delete
>>> the entire mailbox from the "Folders" area of "Personal Settings" and
>>> then create a new folder of the same name.
>> Or just click the "Select: All" link and then delete 40 messages (or w/e
>> your messages/page limit is) at a time. Sure, it's not perfect, but it
>> works alright if your mailbox isn't tooooo huge (I am assuming you don't
>> want to empty a 10K+ box every day that is not called "Junk" or "Trash" :P).

Hmm, this got me interested; how does roundcube handle huge mailboxes
anyway? So I tried;

  $ for ((i=0;i<100000;i++)); do
  for>     echo "spam $i" | mail -s "spam $i" $USER
  for> done

Even though this stopped after the ulimit -u was reached (it sent ~2k
messages in total) it gives a pretty good impression of how roundcube
handles it... not very well.

At first, I set my user preferences to allow message windows with 100K
messages but because of the hard 200 limit in the config, I only saw 200
messages. At least I saw them.. once I also modified that value I saw
nothing anymore. The roundcube error logs gave:

[25-Jan-2008 00:21:34] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 8388608
bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 2049 bytes) in
/a/boao/www/webmail/roundcubemail-0.1-rc2/program/lib/imap.inc on line 133

The HTTP response body was empty, status 200. Changing back all the
values, deleting all messages with thunderbird (which worked very
smoothly, btw), restarting the webserver; nothing mattered. It kept
saying that in the logs. To eventually get it to work again I had to
empty the trash with thunderbird and "compact" all the folders.

Anyway, not that this is a very likely situation.. It's still quite
interesting to see that once it's too full, it's too full and you're
doomed if you don't have other means to access your INBOX :)

Greetings,
b^4