[RCU] Tried to reinstall, still get a DB error

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Mon Mar 31 16:11:27 CEST 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 11:10 AM, lewis Eklund butler wrote:

> roundcube's log/errors shows:
>
> [28-Mar-2008 09:46:00] PHP Warning:  preg_split() [<a
> href='function.preg-split'>function.preg-split</a>]: Compilation
> failed: lookbehind assertion is not fixed length at offset 7 in /usr/
> local/www/data-dist/roundcube/program/lib/DB/common.php on line 751
> [28-Mar-2008 09:46:00] PHP Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for
> foreach() in /usr/local/www/data-dist/roundcube/program/lib/DB/
> common.php on line 756

Warning are not errors. Depending how the PHP install is configured,
the PHP engine may issue warnings about how some things are coded,
and yet they execute OK. Since RoundCube is not a mature application,
it is likely there are some parts of the code that will throw
warnings. This is not disparaging the RC developers, I think they are
doing a great job.

> [28-Mar-2008 09:46:00 -0600] DB Error: DB Error: mismatch Query:  [DB
> Error: mismatch] in /usr/local/www/data-dist/roundcube/program/
> include/
> rcube_db.inc on line 530
> [28-Mar-2008 09:46:00] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function
> getMessage() on a non-object in /usr/local/www/data-dist/roundcube/
> program/include/rcube_db.inc on line 375

Without knowing the exact SVN version ID, it is hard to tell what is
going on at those exact line numbers.

> $ php --version
> PHP 5.2.3 (cli) (built: Jul  1 2007 12:26:14)

It is possible to have a separate version of PHP CLI from the PHP
module used in the web server ;)

> Copyright (c) 1997-2007 The PHP Group
> Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2007 Zend Technologies
>      with Zend Extension Manager v1.2.0, Copyright (c) 2003-2007, by
> Zend Technologies
>      with Zend Optimizer v3.2.8, Copyright (c) 1998-2007, by Zend
> Technologies

Quite possible that the developers have never tested with the Zend
Optimizer. I know that because of how the Zend Optimizer works, you
have to be very careful with variable names. If you use the same
variable name in different parts of the code, the Zend Optimizer can
give unexpected results.

Can you turn off the Optimizer as a troubleshooting measure, and see
if RC runs then ?

> I thought RC had move to php5?  Is it still requiring a php4 install?

RC 0.1 stable is targeted at PHP 4 but will run on PHP 5.
The next released version of RC will only support PHP 5. The code is
in a large amount of change right now making that conversion. It is
possible the latest code has regressions from the stable release.
That is not to say that is the problem here, but a general comment
that "use the latest code" may not be the best choice with RC as the
PHP 5 specific code gets merged in. My personal opinion.

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/
824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265