[RCU] Multiple domains

Kyle Wheeler kyle-roundcube at memoryhole.net
Fri May 2 18:44:22 CEST 2008

On Friday, May  2 at 01:54 AM, quoth Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu:
>> I've never played with that... I prefer things I can read all at
>> once.
>>
>> Here's what I do:
>>
>> $vdomainmapping = array(
>>          'domain1.com' => 'domain1.com',
>>      'www.domain1.com' => 'domain1.com',
>>          'domain2.com' => 'domain2.com',
>>      'www.domain2.com' => 'domain2.com',
>>      );
>> if (isset($vdomainmapping[$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']])) {
>>      $rcmail_config['username_domain'] = $vdomainmapping[$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']];
>> } else {
>>      $rcmail_config['username_domain'] = '';
>> }
>
> Firstly, where do I put that?

I put it in the config/main.inc.php file.

> Secondly, why the hell is any of that necessary when roundcube is
> supposed to have easily configurable, built in support for multiple
> domains?!  I'm absolutely dumb founded.

Well, I started doing it that way when I first started using
roundcube, which was a while ago. If they've improved things since, I
haven't noticed.

But some of the comments in the config file are misleading. For
example, the comment preceeding username_domain in there says:

     Automatically add this domain to user names for login
     Only for IMAP servers that require full email-addresses for login
     Specify an array with 'host' => 'domain' values to support
     multiple hosts

What they don't tell you is that "host" is not matched against
$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'], but is instead matched against the *IMAP SERVER
NAME*. As you can see in program/include/rcmail.php, the matching is
done against a variable named $host - the test is:

     isset($config['username_domain'][$host])

And what is $host? It gets defined just above there, from
$config['default_host'], which is the IMAP server.

You may be asking yourself "why in hell would they do that?!?"; the
answer is because of a different feature. You can configure RoundCube
to serve as a frontend for multiple IMAP servers, with a popup box on
the login window allowing you to select them. So you could, for
example, set up the same RoundCube to be a frontend for both your
personal email and your work email, and all you have to do is select
which one you're logging in to. Then all the necessary configuration
options automatically change to match the server that you've chosen to
log into.

Okay, so, it's still a pretty pointless feature for what most people
want to use RoundCube *for*, but that's what they're doing. So in most
places in the documentation, where they say "host", they're using an
unusual definition of the term. Rather than "the domain on which this
webmail is being hosted" what they really mean is "the imap server to
which this webmail is connecting". So, for people who just have
several virtual domains on the same server, this feature is *entirely
useless* because $host is always going to be 'localhost'.

Once you realize that the developers have a unique perspective here,
things start to make more sense.

I hadn't seen the "include_host_config" option before. From looking at
the source, while this does indeed match based on
$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] and looks like it would do the right thing...
it's only used in a function (load_host_config) that is NEVER ACTUALLY
CALLED, so those files will never be read. Which is probably the
primary reason why include_host_config isn't documented or included in
the main.inc.php file.

~Kyle

P.S. For what it's worth, I just created a bug for this
(http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1485040)
--
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that
you end up being governed by your inferiors.