[RCU] What IMAP Server Software Do You Use ?

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Fri Nov 14 18:15:45 CET 2008

Thank all of you for responding.
7 - Dovecot
1 - Courier
2 - EIMS

On Nov 13, 2008, at 6:29 PM, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> ... does this mean Roundcube might use X-REFERENCES2?

Since early this year, RC has used the SORT extension ( RFC 5256 ) to
IMAP to speed up sorting messages. Some current work indicates a
significant speed-up using the search functions of the SORT
extensions when mailboxes have a lot of messages.

If the IMAP server does not support SORT, a slower fall-back mode is
chosen.

I saw no references to X-REFERENCES2 when the discussion surrounding
SORT was going on. I have to admit, I didn't know what X-REFERENCES2
was about until I researched it a bit. Basically, you are asking for
some type of message threading support, correct ? I found one
Roundcube Trac ticket relating to that from 2006. It was recently
tagged with a 0.4-beta milestone. No mention in the ticket if X-
REFERENCES2 would be used. In my research, it seems dovecot had some
support for that, but was removed due to some problems. It wasn't
clear if support was added back in later, and if that support was
still buggy. I didn't find info about X-REFERENCES2 and other IMAP
software in my relatively short search.

NOTE :
For those that are using EIMS, I scoured the EIMS web site and no
mention of support for SORT was listed. EIMS users will likely not
see any improvement in sorting or searching that is being built into
Roundcube.

--
Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/