[RCU] SMTP w/ TLS

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 15:00:20 CET 2009

I remember asking this question some versions ago and never really
received a specific answer so now I am running a new mail server
(Postfix) with TLS / SASL Authentication & would like to know if its
possible when sending email from RC, can encrypt via TLS? I found the
option in my 'main.inc.php' file to login using TLS encryption:

// the mail host chosen to perform the log-in
// leave blank to show a textbox at login, give a list of hosts
// to display a pulldown menu or set one host as string.
// To use SSL/TLS connection, enter hostname with prefix ssl:// or tls://
$rcmail_config['default_host'] = 'tls://mail.iamghost.com';

The above setting works perfect as show in my mail.log file:

Dec 10 08:35:19 mail dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<carlos>,
method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, TLS

Now I would like to use TLS for sending mail from RC and I am not sure
how to go about this specifically. Below I added a section from my
Postfix 'main.cf' file showing it's configured to send using SMTP but
I just don't know to enable this on my RC webmail client.

# SMTP settings
smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/mail.crt
smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/mail.key
smtpd_use_tls=yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:/var/lib/postfix/smtpd_scache
smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:/var/lib/postfix/smtp_scache
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
#smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes

I am running "Version 0.3.1-20091031".