[RCU] TLS Config on RC?

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Mon Jul 13 19:01:43 CEST 2009

Carlos Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Eden Caldas<edencaldas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Edit your main.inc.php file in roundcube config dir and change these two
>> lines:
>>
>> $rcmail_config['default_host'] = 'ssl://hostname_or_ip_address:993';
>> $rcmail_config['default_port'] = 993;
>
> Huh - I though TLS was different from SSL. Does TLS run on port 993? I
> though TLS could run on port 143 or perhaps I am confused. I am not
> sure because I changed the settings recommended above and was unable
> to login any longer via RC.

They are different. In Roundcube, the "ssl://" prefix means "connect
using SSL immediately," which only works when the server is expecting an
SSL connection; for example, the Dovecot "imaps" service on port 993.

If I was paying attention in the Dovecot thread, I think you've got
regular IMAP on port 143, with optional TLS via STARTTLS. Roundcube only
began supporting STARTTLS with the latest version, 0.2.2. I gather from
the docs that you would simply change the "ssl://" to "tls://" to get it
working.