[RCU] Dovecot vs Courier/Others

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Thu Jun 25 18:56:59 CEST 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Mark Little wrote:

> I have seen a few people mention Dovecot and that RC has been
> written specifically with it in mind

I don't think that is true.
It is true that the majority of people that responded to a small
survey I did on this list use dovecot.
It is true that most of the devs run dovecot, so any testing they do
in the course of development is sure to include dovecot.

I'm pretty sure the devs want to make sure the IMAP server software
doesn't matter. That said, I would surmise that not much effort goes
into working around idiocycracies or bugs in specific IMAP servers
that aren't used by the devs themselves.

But using dovecot isn't a hard requirement.

I can't speak to performance differences between dovecot and other
IMAP servers, plus my user base is relatively small ( ~50 ).

--
Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/