[RCU] roundcube causes server high load with apache

Philip Iezzi lists at iezzi.ch
Thu May 28 17:07:47 CEST 2009

Hi

I've just encountered a similar performance issue which I have never
noticed on earlier Roundcube versions up to 0.2.1. One single PHP
process was hanging for a looooong time (don't remember, but must have
been 5min+, might as well have been hanging for hours). I was killing
this process and it was gone, no other processes hanging.

here's my current setup (https://webmail.onlime.ch/):
- Roundcube 0.2.2
- Debian Lenny 5.0.1
- Apache 2.2.9
- PHP 5.2.9 (patched with Suhosin 0.9.7 + module 0.9.27 enabled)
- PHP running as CGI under Apache's SuExec

Before killing the process I checked /proc/<PID>/environ to figure out
it was Roundcube. If any Roundcube developer is interested in my
environment variables, I can send you the whole output of /proc/<PID>/
environ off-list. I don't like to post it here for privacy/security
reasons.
Just some information that might help:

HTTP_REFERER=https://webmail.onlime.ch/?_task=mail&_action=preview&_uid=4786&_mbox=INBOX&_framed=1
REQUEST_URI=/?_task=mail&_action=get&_uid=4786&_mbox=INBOX&_part=49
HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; de-de)
AppleWebKit/523.12.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Safari/523.12.2

We are talking about a very low volume Roundcube installation, usually
just 5-10 mails sent per day. It's running on a 2x Xeon Quad Core
E5405 2,00GHz / 8GB RAM machine, a powerful server that has a load
average of 0.2
So far, that's the first time I noticed such weird behavior with
Roundcube. I hope it's nothing serious. Good luck in bughunting! thx

Take care
Philip