[RCU] Ticket 1486701

Kaz Kylheku kaz at kylheku.com
Wed Nov 3 17:06:51 CET 2010

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:11:02 -0700, Arne Berglund
<aberglund at lesd.k12.or.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 18:33:14 -0700, Kaz Kylheku  wrote:
>>
>> Could someone have a look at:
>>
>> http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1486701
>>
>> It's marked closed, but I submitted some patches in it.
>

> Looks to me as though the developers are satisfied with the default
> behavior (as is my organization). While you may not use Thunderbird,
> having RC's display behavior mimic T-Bird is a smart decision in my
> opinion, as that makes it similar for end users to one of the more
> popular stand-alone clients.

But the patch is about something else, unfortunately.

I should open a new Trac item.

RoundCube already has the behavior for unread children in a collapsed
thread. It's just not enabled in the default skin. There is even
a dedicated icon for indicating that a thread has unread children.
It's similar to the blue star that flags unread messages, except that
it has a hollow middle.  This icon is not assigned in the default
skin (unreadChildrenIcon is left blank). If you don't like the
T-bird behavior, you can change it this way.

The patch provides a parallel configurability for flagged messages.
With
the patch, you can set up your skin such that when a collapsed
thread has flagged messages, there is an icon (which may be distinct
from the regular flagged icon), and the subject is colored red.

The current behavior is that if you view a folder as a set of collapsed
threads, you have no clue where your flagged messages are hiding.

> Rather than make these changes as patches against the release code,
> perhaps they could be implemented as one or more plugins? That would
> give people more options.

This is core UI functionality that is impossible to provide as
a plugin, since it has to do with generating the message list view UI.

You have the option of not using it through the skin configuration and
CSS.  If you don't want to know that a thread contains flagged
messages,
don't have the CSS highlight the subject in red, and leave the
flaggedChildrenIcon blank.

(In this trac item: http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1486904,
I provided PNG icon for flagging unread children. I should
also stick this into the new Trac item).