[RCU] PHP warning - date.timezone

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Fri Nov 5 07:15:22 CET 2010

On 11/04/10 22:36, Jim Pazarena wrote:
> PHP Warning:  date() [<a href='function.date'>function.date</a>]: It is not safe to
> rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone
> setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those
> methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone
> identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in
> /usr/local/www/roundcube/program/include/main.inc on line 1029

You need to set the date.timezone preference in one of the following:

  * php.ini
  * Your Apache vhost
  * .htaccess
  * Wherever else it would work

Yes, your php.ini file is located in the same timezone as the server.
But apparently, the PHP devs would like you to set a very special
PHP-only timezone, because the one you set for PHP is going to be
somehow more reliable than the one you set for the system.

See the date.timezone section of,

  http://www.php.net/manua/en/datetime.configuration.php

for possible values.