[RCU] Default timezone for users

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Thu Aug 11 14:07:51 CEST 2011

I have set in config/main.inc.php :

$rcmail_config['timezone'] = 'America/New_York';

And /etc/php.ini:

; Defines the default timezone used by the date functions
; http://www.php.net/manual/en/datetime.configuration.php#ini.date.timezone
date.timezone = "America/New_York"

However, whenever a user logs into Roundcube (and gets a new record in
the database with no user-specific preferences yet), they are still
seeing the date/times of messages in the Inbox as UTC.

I have to login as that user, go to their user-specific settings and set
the timezone to the "(GMT -5:00) Eastern Time" choice in the drop-down
menu for the timezone.

Does Roundcube not understand 'America/New_York'?

For the moment I've resorted to setting a default value for that field
in the database so that new users end up in the EST timezone as a default.