[RCU] 0.5.4 Roundcube display broken with lighttpd [SOLVED-ish]

Sahil Tandon sahil at tandon.net
Wed Sep 21 01:53:49 CEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 16:21:27 -0700, Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:09:15 -0400, Sahil Tandon <sahil at tandon.net>
> wrote:
> > Although the INSTALL document recommends the inclusion of "text/css" in
> > Lighty's compress.filetype array, removing "text/css" (i.e. not
> > compressing css) restores normal UI behavior.  I am not entirely
> > satisfied with this, but it is a sufficient workaround for now.
>
> Good work. Okay, so the problem would seem to be in the
> compression or decompression. Might it be a issue in lighthttpd?

That would be the obvious conclusion but such diagnosis is too general
and, thus, incomplete.  For example, other css-employing web sites
served by the same lighttpd instance are unaffected by css compression.

> You're missing just perhaps one more step in your excellent root-cause
> analysis.

I think more than one step is missing.  Indeed, that is why I am on this
seeking help from the experts.

> Namely, google for "lighthttpd broken compression".

Been there; done that.

> First hit:

Yes, I noticed this when I conducted similar google queries several days
ago.

> "Lighthttpd - css files broken if mod_compress enabled on lighttpd
> 1.4.26"
>
> http://redmine.lighttpd.net/boards/2/topics/4226

A careful reading of that link will reveal nuanced differences between
the issue reported by "telix" and my problem.

The OP in that thread is apparently referring to broken css files even
when text/css is not explicitly set in compress.filetype.  What I have
reported above is that RC behaves as desired when text/css is not set
in compress.filetype, but I did not have to disable mod_compress!  In my
testing, it is *only* when compress.filetype is configured to compress
text/css does the problem manifest itself in various browsers.
Compressing other mimetypes is just fine, does not cause any problems,
and there is no apparent breakage of css or RC.

So, I would appreciate if others who are using lighttpd + roundcube
0.5.4 (or more recent trunk) *and* compressing text/css mimetype would
share their lighttpd configurations as they related to RC.

In the meantime, I will continue to investigate for "root causes" and
report my findings.

Thanks,
--
Sahil Tandon <sahil at tandon.net>