[RCU] Message thread view (again) in roundcube without server support

Miguel Telleria de Esteban miguel at mtelleria.com
Wed Sep 21 12:08:50 CEST 2011

Dear all,

After a day of investigation I approach this list for the first time.
Let me please send this "schematic" email with all my findings so far.

THE PROBLEM

I am desperately searching a Free webmail client with message threading
support.

HYPOTHESIS

I see that roundcube has extensive support for message threading
although it needs server-side assistance to perform the threading
sort.  Unfortunately my IMAP server (MS Exchange, out of my control)
does not seem to cooperate at least in announcing this capability.

Message threading can still be done as my desktop clients (claws-mail
and thunderbird) proof in a daily basis :).

VERIFYING THE HYPOTHESIS

*  Roundcube 0.6-rc1 requires server side support for message threading.

   http://lists.roundcube.net/mail-archive/users/2011-08/0000028.html
   (this link also suggests an initial approach to restablish
   client-side threading support)

*  My IMAP server does not provide this support

   This seems to be based on the THREAD capability of the IMAP
   server.  In program/steps/settings/func.inc there is an
   interesting switch.

    $threading_supported = $RCMAIL->imap->get_capability('THREAD');

   OPEN QUESTIONS:
   Is there a way in roundcube to trace the IMAP traffic?

   Although I guess that if I don't have the threading options
   displayed in folder settings is because roundcube has already parsed
   the capabilities from the server correctly.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU:  POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS AND APPROACHES
----------------------------

*  Switching to other webmail client.  Have already tried Squirrelmail
   and I already like roundcube much more.  However I accept
   suggestions.

*  "Forcing" roundcube to "force" the THREAD command on the
  server despite not being announced in capabilities (by disabling the
  hiding of the options at first).

*  Figuring out how to recover client-side thread sorting in roundcube
   as a Fallback when the server does not implement it.

Any comments will be welcome,

Regards,

	Miguel

--