[RCU] 500 Internal Server Error - Can't figure out why

Arne Berglund aberglund at lesd.k12.or.us
Wed Mar 14 16:23:34 CET 2012

On 03/14/2012 08:12, Stephen R Guglielmo wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion! However, it didn't have any effect. I
> tried several more things in the mean time, and I just can't figure
> it
> out.
>
> I upgraded to Roundcube 0.7.2. I tried recompiling php WITHOUT the
> suhoshin patch. I tried using the php.ini-development and
> php.ini-production files that come with php. I tried commenting
> everything I added to apache's config, as well as adding
> AllowOverride
> All to the roundcube dir.
>
> Nothing at all seems to be working. This is so odd. I made a script
> with phpinfo() in the roundcube dir which works fine. I can also
> access robots.txt from roundcube's dir, so access to the dir is
> working. I even went through and set a cookie whitelist allow and
> disabled adblock in my browser.
>
> Still absolutely nothing in my apache error log and my php error log.
> I even made a php file with a syntax error purposely to ensure
> logging
> is working - it is. The hit to roundcube is showing up in my apache
> ACCESS log, but it's still giving me the 500 error :-\
>
> I must've went through the roundcube installer 5 times in the last
> day, wiping everything out and restarting. I tried changing the
> permissions on the dir, including world-readable and writable.
> Nothing
> seems to be working. Is there some sort of php or apache debugger
> that
> I can use?
>
> Thanks!

In my experience with Roundcube, 500 errors are frequently database or
plugin problems, rarely apache or PHP problems. If the roundcube logs
directory is writable by the apache user (you did reset the permissions
on the logs and temp directories, didn't you?) but no errors are logged,
I'd rule out plugins, and look at the DB.

--
Arne Berglund
System Administrator, Internet Services