[RCU] 500 Internal Server Error - Can't figure out why

Andreas Dick andudi at gmx.ch
Wed Mar 14 20:24:58 CET 2012

Am Dienstag, 13. März 2012, 19.18:56 schrieb Stephen R Guglielmo:
> Hey list,
>
> First, my setup:
> FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE AMD64
> Apache/2.2.22
> PHP 5.3.10 with Suhosin-Patch
> roundcube-0.7.1,1
> postgresql-server-9.1.3
>
> I installed roundcube from the FreeBSD ports. I ran the install script, went
> through the configuration, saved my configuration files to the proper
> locations. It ran the test page, and everything worked fine. I tried
> sending a test mail, testing the connection to my database (postgresql) and
> imap server (dovecot). Everything worked perfectly. Then when I finished
> and tried to access the main roundcube directory, apache is giving me a 500
> error. I have found no error logs anywhere. Not in roundcube's logs/ dir,
> not in apache's error log (even with LogLevel at debug), and not in my php
> error log.
>
> I've browsed through the Wiki about the issue, it brought up the .htaccess
> files. I have 'AllowOverride None' on the entire filesystem, so apache
> should be completely ignoring the .htaccess files. It shouldn't even be
> stat()'ing them. I read each of the .htaccess files in the various dirs
> within roundcube and I put them in my apache config file. I prefer
> everything to be in there as opposed to using .htaccess. I have the
> applicable section of my apache file pasted below. In addition to that, I
> put some of the main settings into my main apache config, the ETags,
> DEFLATE, DefaultCharset, and those other settings.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions on where to start with this, I'd appreciate
> it. It's driving me nuts.
>
> Thank you!
>
> -- Snip apache's config --
> # Setup Permissions
> <Directory />
>     Options None
>     AllowOverride None
>     Order deny,allow
>     Deny from all
> </Directory>
> Alias /mail /usr/local/www/roundcube
> <Directory "/usr/local/www/roundcube">
>    Options SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from my.ip.add.ress
>    RewriteEngine On
>    RewriteRule ^favicon.ico$ skins/default/images/favicon.ico
>    RewriteRule .svn/ - [F]
>    RewriteRule ^README|INSTALL|LICENSE|SQL|bin|CHANGELOG$ - [F]
>    Header merge Cache-Control public env=!NO_CACHE
>    AddType text/x-component .htc
> </Directory>
> <Directory "/usr/local/www/roundcube/temp">
>    Order allow,deny
>    Deny from all
> </Directory>
> <Directory "/usr/local/www/roundcube/logs">
>    Order allow,deny
>    Deny from all
> </Directory>
> <Directory "/usr/local/www/roundcube/plugins/enigma/home">
>    Order allow,deny
>    Deny from all
> </Directory>
> [...]

have you tried without this kind of "secure" apache config? please find my config
at the end. and use the standard  .htaccess out of roundcube... if this works
then, start changing the config then

Andreas

**************************************
<Directory /path/roundcubemail/>
        Options +FollowSymLinks
        # This is needed to parse .htaccess. See its
        # content before setting AllowOverride to None.
        AllowOverride All
        order allow,deny
        allow from all
</Directory>