[RCU] Session timeouts all over the place

Michael Heydekamp listuser at freexp.de
Tue May 1 23:41:47 CEST 2012

Am 28.04.2012 18:20, schrieb Thomas Bruederli:

> However, to be honest, your Roundcube installation still seems to be
> pretty fucked up :-)

Well, I wouldn't say so. ;) It's a pretty standard installation of the
latest stable release - which is 0.7.2.

The only mistake we did in the beginning was that we copied some older
plugins of our 0.5.x installation to the 0.7.2 installation. That indeed
caused some problems here and there (e.g. with the address book), but they
were not related to session timeouts or server errors. Now all plugins are
current and compatible with 0.7.2.

> In order to take another attempt to track down the issues of session
> timeouts, I suggest you to do the following:
>
> * Install a recent version of Roundcube (preferably 0.8-beta) from scratch.

That would be our third RC installation then. I'll have a word with my main
admin, but wouldn't it be more helpful to stick with the current 0.7.2
installation if we really want to track down this stuff? Because with this
environment we are indeed seeing the problems.

If we would install 0.8-beta and the problems would seem (!) to be gone, we
wouldn't still know why exactly. And we would never know if at some stage
they wouldn't appear again. In some way I'm sort of "happy" to see those
problems, as this is the only chance to track them down. Getting rid of
bugs/problems by coincidence would be a somewhat, uh, sloppy way.

> * Use the default configuration values where possible

I'd say we have a pretty default configuration already (or still, as you
want). Well, I've enabled QP encoding for instance (dunno why the default is
disabled), set the line length to 76 instead of 72, disabled 'format=flowed'
temporarily (I remember that it was called 'format=flawed' when I was still
developing our own mail client years ago, but I can't recall the reasons in
detail anymore), and we had to set 'imap_force_lsub' to true due to dovecot
- all in all that's it, I'd say.

> * Do not install or activate any plugins

Hmm, uh, some of them I/we really need. But for testing purposes, I may do
it if it helps.

> * Truncate database tables "session" and "cache"

This task I will have to assign to my main admin. I'm not touching this.

> * Start using that fresh installation of Roundcube with your IE8. If
> you still experience session problems, try with other browsers such as
> Firefox or Chrome.

Really...? If the problems (or a part of them) should be browser-related,
how could we track them down then? RC should run with IE as well, shouldn't
it?

Plus that I'm reluctant to scatter my system with all sorts of software and
browsers. I'm not a fan of IE (not that I'm being misunderstood in this
respect), but it's the browser I'm using, not more not less.

> * Enable the config option 'log_session' and check
> <roundcubedir>/logs/session if you ever loose a session.

Done. But just a few minutes ago (and two hours too late), as I had a
session timeout again two hours ago. Hopefully next time I'll be able to
report something meaningful.

> Please keep on reporting, I'm sure we'll be able to find rational
> explanation for all the weird behavior you're experiencing.

Thanks, Thomas.
--
Michael Heydekamp
Co-Admin freexp.de