[RCU] Speed-ups for a slow computer?

Paul Hartman paul.hartman at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 00:48:40 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anything be done to speed up Roundcube on a Celeron 700 with 512MB
> RAM (maxed out) running Gentoo Linux?  We're using the Chrome browser
> and the CPU is 95% idle when no one is logged into X.  I'm getting
> reports of 30+ seconds to open an email.

Assuming this machine is the web browser, and not the server itself...
and that you have control over the roundcube server itself, and that
clients on other computers in your same local network do not
experience the slowdown, and that it has always been slow and this
isn't a new development, some things I would try:

- eliminate any proxy to see if it makes a difference
- try without SSL, if you normally use SSL, to see if it makes a difference
- try from a new user account or new browser profile on the celeron
- If SSL is slow and non-SSL is not, try using smaller key sizes or
different ciphers ("openssl speed" on the slow box will run an SSL
benchmark)
- try other browsers on the same computer
- try other roundcube themes
- use Chrome's  developer tools to see if you can isolate the
slow-loading objects on the page
- do other AJAX-heavey webmail like Google or Yahoo cause slowness
issues on that box?
- check the mail server logs to be sure there's not an actual slowdown
accessing this user's mail for some reason
- try to install a different webmail product on the web server to see
if it is any faster. Some providers offer multiple interfaces.

Good luck :)