[RCU] New Roundcube Deployment

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 9 20:55:13 CEST 2013

We switched our main University Webmail service (30k users) to Roundcube
on Monday:

    https://webmail.hermes.cam.ac.uk/

On the whole the deployment has gone well (if we discount a foul up on
my part which isn't relevant to this list).

Two issues have arisen:

First a number of people (in particular elderly, important, Professors)
have complained about the fonts and colour scheme used by the Larry
theme. In particular the fact that there is no way to increase the size
of the font.

I don't suppose that plugins exist that would allow people to change the
font size?

Failing that do people find that the Classic theme is considered an
acceptable alternative? At the moment I have disabled that simply
because the Larry theme is a better fit to our new University house
style.

Secondly, a number of people report that Firefox (all the reports to
date mention Firefox 22 on MacOS, but that may be a red herring) ships
with a popup blocker enabled which blocks the "Send" button after a
message has been composed:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pop-blocker-settings-exceptions-troubleshooting

Firefox on my Linux workstation doesn't have any problems, even with the
popup blocker enabled.

Slightly more alarmingly we have had one report (and only one report to
date) where the Send button only works intermittently, which is harder
to blame on a popup blocker. I don't suppose that anyone else on this
list has had similar experiences?

For what it is worth: the memcache session storage seems to work just
fine on a system of this scale so long as the patch that I submitted a
few weeks back is applied (which Thomas Bruederli
accepted and has applied as is to the GIT repository).

--
David Carter                             Email:
David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.