[RCU] New Roundcube Deployment

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Aug 10 08:20:49 CEST 2013

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013, David Carter wrote:

> Slightly more alarmingly we have had one report (and only one report to
> date) where the Send button only works intermittently,

A bit of experimentation last night demonstrates that if someone clicks
"Send" after a login session has expired then roundcube just sits there
with a spinning "sending" icon at the bottom left.

The user doesn't get to see a popup alert to explain what has happened
(although on the positive side it doesn't just throw away the message).

I imagine that is what is being reported here. While the KeepAlive stuff
seems to be working, I imagine that it is quite common for people to close
up their laptop and move to another room before continuing a message.

We are currently using the default:

   // Session lifetime in minutes
   $rcmail_config['session_lifetime'] = 10;

which seemed sensible for permanently on connections.

I guess that I could increase that to an hour, or maybe two hours.

I am curious what other people use for session_lifetime, as this must be a
fairly widespread problem for Roundcube deployments.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.