[RCU] New Roundcube Deployment

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Aug 10 18:40:53 CEST 2013

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013, Arne Berglund wrote:

> You mentioned that you have 3 servers running, I wonder if the loss of
> session is because when moving from place to place your users are changing
> servers? No idea if that's a possibility, as I have no experience with
> clustering of this type.

No, logins sessions are attached to a single server (so the squirrelmail
caching IMAP proxy can work to its best effect). The only particularly
unusual thing about our setup is that we are using memcached for session
storage, which Thomas indicated was new when I asked a few weeks back.

This means that sessions are expire immediately at the end of the session
lifetime (plus a 60 second fudge factor that I have added) rather than
being garbage collected asynchronously some time later.

However at the moment this is all just a best guess on my part to explain
two reports of the Send button failing to respond, and my own observation
that I see exactly the same effect if the session cache entry is left to
expire. I could be barking up the wrong tree altogether.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.