[RCU] upgrade from 0.3.1 to 0.7.1 and distro change

Arne Berglund aberglund at lesd.k12.or.us
Tue Oct 8 17:07:53 CEST 2013

On 2013-10-08 06:57, Marcus Schopen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running roundcube 0.3.1 on a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server and planning
> set up a complete new Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server with roundcube 0.7.1 at
> another hoster (so there is no way just to make a dist upgrade).
> Roundcube 0.3.1 was installed from the Ubuntu repository and because of
> security updates I'd like to use Ubuntu packages on the new server too.
> What would be a good way to migrated the mysql database from the old to
> the new server? Just dump it, restore on the new server and then tell
> the 0.7.1 to use this old database?
>
> Cheers
> Marcus

Yes Marcus, that's exactly how I'd do it regarding the database. Once
you have pointed RC at the database on the new host, either run the SQL
schema updates manually, or through the web-installed.

But regarding security updates, the Ubuntu packages are badly out-dated,
and the current stable release (0.9.4) has had numerous security issues
fixed over the old. So using the Ubuntu packages for "security" reasons
is counter-productive.

Also note that using the normal release Roundcube package is simple, as
everything is self-contained within the roundcubemail directory, rather
than split up all over the file system as the Ubuntu package does it.
This makes future upgrades simpler, and it is far easier to maintain a
current, secure version.

--
Arne Berglund
System Administrator, Internet Services