[RCU] Point of information

jfmxl jfmxl at SDF.ORG
Tue Feb 17 22:56:04 CET 2015

Here's a question. I like the idea of pop mail. My mail program
downloads my mail from my mail server and that's it. The mail is deleted
from my mail server.

With webmail, my mail server has all my mail forever, for easy reading
at their leisure.

Now I realize that there is no longer any trust in this world, that the
NSA has long since destroyed all that, betrayed us all, and that the
internet is actually no more than a spy platform now rather than the
glorious enabler of freedom that we, I anyway, foolishly thought it was
... that darpa played us all for fools. Still ...

What I do now is set my mail reading program to retrieve my mail from my
mail provider, save what I want locally using my mail reading program,
then use round cube to answer what I want to answer and move all the
mail to the trash before exiting. I have to use round cube to answer my
mail because my provider offers only imap and does not allow me to send
imap mail except through its round cube. For all I know sdf.org is
operated by th NSA. I asked, got no response.

So how do I know my mail is really being deleted at my mail provider's
server. Google never ever deletes mail. The only one who loses access to
deleted google mail is the person to whom it is addressed.

I assume the same is true of round cube mail? That my email provider
retains copies of all my mail, and the only who loses access to it is
myself when I delete it?

I also realize that my provider could simply copy all my pop3 mail on
receipt ... but at least that is a overt dirty filthy trick. It seems to
be a 'feature' of webmail?