[RCU] Text signature vs. HTML signature

Michael Heydekamp listuser at freexp.de
Fri Jun 12 22:38:29 CEST 2015

Hi there,

although I do really hate HTML messages (and their multipart/alternative
incarnations, as they're most often misformatted), there's sometimes no way
around it to use them. Especially if you're starting an own business and
need to compose messages with HTML signatures, including a logo and this
kind of stuff.

So I expected Roundcube to be able to create a) a signature in plain text
format for text messages, and b) an alternative signature in HTML format for
HTML messages - for the same account, of course. Therefore, today I played
the very first time with the toggle "HTML signature". But I really don't get
what this option does (or should do).

Let's say I have this plain text signature ("HTML signature" de-selected):

--------------------------------
> --
> Michael Xxxxxxxxx
> Tel.:  +49-(0)211-xxxxxxx
> Mobil: +49-(0)172-xxxxxxx
> eMail: michael at xxxxxxxxx.de
> WWW:   http://www.xxxxxxxxx.de
--------------------------------

If I now select the toggle "HTML signature" and de-select it again, the
following plain text signature is being returned:

----------------------------------
> --
> Michael Xxxxxxxxx
> Tel.: +49-(0)211-xxxxxxx
> Mobil: +49-(0)172-xxxxxxx
> eMail: michael at xxxxxxxxx.de
> WWW: http://www.xxxxxxxxx.de [1]
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.xxxxxxxxx.de
----------------------------------

Not only that there is an IMO senseless additional link being created, also
the blanks after "Tel." etc. are gone, so the contacts are not properly
left-aligned anymore.

If I do the same again, the following plain text signature is being
returned:

> --
> Michael Xxxxxxxxx
> Tel.: +49-(0)211-xxxxxxx
> Mobil: +49-(0)172-xxxxxxx
> eMail: michael at xxxxxxxxx.de
> WWW: http://www.xxxxxxxxx.de [1] [1 [1]]
> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.xxxxxxxxx.de [1]
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.xxxxxxxxx.de

Even more senseless links! And so on...

As I said, I don't get it. What's that for...? Can somebody explain?

The creation of the body of HTML messages seems to even worse, but that's a
different issue for a different thread then.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
--
Michael Heydekamp