[RCU] Reply to own messages broken...?

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Tue Jun 16 19:11:17 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-16 12:57 pm, Michael Heydekamp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just did set up some mail accounts for a new user and did realize that
> replies to an own message are being sent to the own address of the
> original
> sender rather than to the address of the original recipient.
>
> This still works:
> -----------------
> 1)
>> From: Michael Heydekamp <michael at mydomain.de>
>> Display name: Michael Heydekamp
>> Email: michael at mydomain.de
>
> This does not work:
> -------------------
> 2)
>> From: Michael Heydekamp <michael at mydomain.de>
>> Display name: Michael Heydekamp xxxxxx - xxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxx
>> Email: michael at mydomain.de
>
> 3)
>> From: Michael Heydekamp xxxxxx - xxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxx
>> <michael at mydomain.de>
>> Display name: Michael Heydekamp xxxxxx - xxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxx
>> Email: michael at mydomain.de
>
> 4)
>> From: =?UTF-8?Q?Michael_Heydekamp_xxxxxx_-_xxxxxxx_xxx_xxxxxxx?=
>>  <michael at mydomain.de>
>> Display name: Michael Heydekamp
>> Email: michael at mydomain.de
>
> Where "Display name" and "Email" are the relevant entries under
> Settings/Identities, and "From:" is the From header of the message.
>
> According to Example 2) above, Roundcube seems to check for the display
> name
> as well...? IMO, it shouldn't do that and check for the address only.
>
> Example 3) is strange: Display names are identical, nonetheless the
> routine
> fails. Is the display name too long?
>
> Example 4): Not sure if folded headers are the problem here.
>
> Fix appreciated, as the user in question did already send a few
> messages to
> himself, relying on a working Reply-to-own-messages routine (and not
> realizing the wrong recipient address).
>
> Cheers,

I'm not a Roundcube dev, so my thoughts here should be taken with a
grain of salt, but...

I'm not sure I see where this is something to fix in Roundcube. This is
normal behavior when one replies to one's own message that was not sent
through a listserv with a default Reply-To.

If the original sender is replying to their own message and wants the
reply to go to the original recipient, they should select to
"Reply-All", as they would with any other mail client, and if necessary,
drop themselves from the "To" field.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

"It's always suicide-mission this, save-the-planet that. No one ever
just stops by to say 'hi' anymore." --Colonel Jack O'Neill, SG1