[RCU] Reply to own messages broken...?

Michael Heydekamp listuser at freexp.de
Wed Jun 17 01:27:04 CEST 2015

Hi Mike,

Am 16.06.2015 19:11, schrieb Mike Burger:

> On 2015-06-16 12:57 pm, Michael Heydekamp wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just did set up some mail accounts for a new user and did realize that
>> replies to an own message are being sent to the own address of the original
>> sender rather than to the address of the original recipient.
>>
>> This still works:
>> -----------------
>> 1)
>>> From: Michael Heydekamp <michael at mydomain.de>
>>> Display name: Michael Heydekamp
>>> Email: michael at mydomain.de
>>
>> This does not work:
>> -------------------
>> 2)
>>> From: Michael Heydekamp <michael at mydomain.de>
>>> Display name: Michael Heydekamp xxxxxx - xxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxx
>>> Email: michael at mydomain.de
>>
>> 3)
>>> From: Michael Heydekamp xxxxxx - xxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxx <michael at mydomain.de>
>>> Display name: Michael Heydekamp xxxxxx - xxxxxxx xxx xxxxxxx
>>> Email: michael at mydomain.de
>>
>> 4)
>>> From: =?UTF-8?Q?Michael_Heydekamp_xxxxxx_-_xxxxxxx_xxx_xxxxxxx?=
>>>  <michael at mydomain.de>
>>> Display name: Michael Heydekamp
>>> Email: michael at mydomain.de
>>
>> Where "Display name" and "Email" are the relevant entries under
>> Settings/Identities, and "From:" is the From header of the message.
>>
>> According to Example 2) above, Roundcube seems to check for the display name
>> as well...? IMO, it shouldn't do that and check for the address only.
>>
>> Example 3) is strange: Display names are identical, nonetheless the routine
>> fails. Is the display name too long?
>>
>> Example 4): Not sure if folded headers are the problem here.
>>
>> Fix appreciated, as the user in question did already send a few messages to
>> himself, relying on a working Reply-to-own-messages routine (and not
>> realizing the wrong recipient address).
>>
>> Cheers,
>
> I'm not a Roundcube dev, so my thoughts here should be taken with a grain
> of salt, but...
>
> I'm not sure I see where this is something to fix in Roundcube. This is
> normal behavior when one replies to one's own message that was not sent
> through a listserv with a default Reply-To.
>
> If the original sender is replying to their own message and wants the
> reply to go to the original recipient, they should select to "Reply-All",
> as they would with any other mail client, and if necessary, drop
> themselves from the "To" field.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Roundcube has a special routine to detect replies
to an own message for ages already, and automatically inserts the original
recipient in the To: header. Which is extremely convenient and appreciated.

If that wouldn't be the case, even example 1) would not work. That it works,
is a proof that this routine does exist. And you don't need to be a dev to
know that. There were discussions about this here and there already.

The routine does just not work in cases 2), 3) and 4), and IMO this need to
get fixed.

Cheers,
--
Michael Heydekamp