[RCU] Reply to own messages broken...?

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Wed Jun 17 18:13:07 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-16 7:27 pm, Michael Heydekamp wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Am 16.06.2015 19:11, schrieb Mike Burger:
>
>> On 2015-06-16 12:57 pm, Michael Heydekamp wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> just did set up some mail accounts for a new user and did realize
>>> that
>>> replies to an own message are being sent to the own address of the
>>> original
>>> sender rather than to the address of the original recipient.
>>>
>>> This still works:
>>> -----------------
>>> 1)
>>>
>>> This does not work:
>>> -------------------
>>> 2)
>>>
>>> 3)
>>>
>>> 4)
>>>
>>> Where "Display name" and "Email" are the relevant entries under
>>> Settings/Identities, and "From:" is the From header of the message.
>>>
>>> According to Example 2) above, Roundcube seems to check for the
>>> display name
>>> as well...? IMO, it shouldn't do that and check for the address only.
>>>
>>> Example 3) is strange: Display names are identical, nonetheless the
>>> routine
>>> fails. Is the display name too long?
>>>
>>> Example 4): Not sure if folded headers are the problem here.
>>>
>>> Fix appreciated, as the user in question did already send a few
>>> messages to
>>> himself, relying on a working Reply-to-own-messages routine (and not
>>> realizing the wrong recipient address).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> I'm not a Roundcube dev, so my thoughts here should be taken with a
>> grain
>> of salt, but...
>>
>> I'm not sure I see where this is something to fix in Roundcube. This
>> is
>> normal behavior when one replies to one's own message that was not
>> sent
>> through a listserv with a default Reply-To.
>>
>> If the original sender is replying to their own message and wants the
>> reply to go to the original recipient, they should select to
>> "Reply-All",
>> as they would with any other mail client, and if necessary, drop
>> themselves from the "To" field.
>
> Sorry, but you're wrong. Roundcube has a special routine to detect
> replies
> to an own message for ages already, and automatically inserts the
> original
> recipient in the To: header. Which is extremely convenient and
> appreciated.
>
> If that wouldn't be the case, even example 1) would not work. That it
> works,
> is a proof that this routine does exist. And you don't need to be a dev
> know that. There were discussions about this here and there already.
>
> The routine does just not work in cases 2), 3) and 4), and IMO this
> need to
> get fixed.
>
> Cheers,

My apologies...I misunderstood the entirety of the initial request and
also found that you're right about the functionality.

I'll crawl back under my rock, now, and avoid coming out until I
actually know what I'm talking about.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

"It's always suicide-mission this, save-the-planet that. No one ever
just stops by to say 'hi' anymore." --Colonel Jack O'Neill, SG1