[RCU] connection error (failed to reach the server)

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Tue Jun 23 20:49:27 CEST 2015

Hello,

it was brought to my attention a few months ago that a mac user was
seeing the following pop up dialogue box in roundcube with some frequency:

connection error (failed to reach the server)

At the time, I was chasing a problem with apache where hundreds of
connections would open up within a matter of a minute or two, maxing out
the allowed connections, and causing roundcube to be unavailable for
about 1 minute a few times a day.  Didnt' take me long to figure out the
IP causing the apache problem was the same user reporting the error pop
up.

I never did figure out the root of the problem, but I suspected it had
to do with the self-signed certs and the CA not being installed on the
client's mac.

A while later, another mac user started reporting the same error popping
up, and I saw the same spike in http connections from this user's IP
addresses.  Investigated more, got the CA cert installed on this mac,
didn't fix the problem, ended up again with no solution.

Reloading apache always worked, but it was hard to be on hand whenever
the connections spiked, so I wrote a little script that checks the
number of connections and reloads apache when it gets over 400
connections.  That solved the apache problem (bubblegum, I know), so I
called it a mac anomaly put it on the back burner.  the error popup
didn't actually stop anything from working, just had to click it closed
every few minutes, and my customers were amiable to doing just that.

Over the last couple of months, I have learned/seen that the same popup
happens on ipads and windows computers as well.  I just worked on one
windows computer where the popup happened in chrome/firefox/IE, with the
CA installed so there is no certificate error.  Conversely, I use
roundcube every where I go on a wide variety of computers, and I do not
see this error very often, if ever (can't remember seeing it while
logged into my personal account right now).  I definitely cannot
reproduce it on my ubuntu machine in the office.

Best as I can tell on google, the error indicates an http connection
failure, but nothing actually fails to work.  I can find nothing in the
roundcube logs nor the apache logs, which I suppose is expected if the
client is failing to connect to the server.  The internet connections in
my part of the world lack the speed the rest of the world sees; for
example and average business/residential connection has a 512Kbps or
768Kbps upload speed, but surely just navigating in roundcube wouldn't
flood that?  The computer I was just working on is a few years old and a
tad underpowered by modern standards, but for a minimal install of
windows 7 it isn't sluggish, and cpu/RAM usage don't spike when
roundcube is open.  And the spike in http connections to the server did
not happen, so I am not longer certain if that is related.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I might track the cause of this
annoying popup?  Or at least cause it to stop popping up all the time?
--
Computerisms
Bob Miller