[RCU] Caldav/Carddav

Vincent Van Houtte vvh at aplusv.be
Wed Dec 28 10:41:53 CET 2016

On 2016-12-28 10:06, Emmanuel Revah wrote:
> Cool. Let's see what people have working and what can be done.
>
>>> The result I'm trying to get: Roundcube with calendars and contacts
>>> that are available through Caldav/Carddav protocols, so users can
>>> switch between RC and Thuderbird or "smartphone" clients with ease.
>>
>> I tried with OwnCloud first, but the calendar refused to work
>> correctly with some other clients and the mail app is very limited, so
>> I switched back to DAViCal as a caldav and carddav backend and have
>> installed RoundCube as a frontend for both email and carddav (through
>> the plugin that you mentioned). I have not been so lucky with the
>> caldav-plugin, and apparently it is not working anymore with newer
>> versions of RoundCube (although I don't remember where I have read
>> this).
>
> This is my main concern, up maintaining and so on.
>
> BTW, if you have tips on using DAViCal I'd be happy to see them (I'm
> using Postfix/virtual), you can send them here or off-list.

If you're using Debian, then the packages davical and libawl-php should
be installed from the backports repo. It's extremely easy to follow the
DAViCal installation guide and you'll be up and running in no time.
Since this is not the place to discuss DAViCal, I'll send you my Apache
virtualhost config privately. Combined with some DNS rules for
autodiscovery, LDAP (and maybe Kerberos, which I haven't tried yet) for
authentication and Let's Encrypt for SSL certificates, it's a robust
platform. The only thing that is missing really is scheduling with
external people, but a good calendaring client should be able to take
care of this without the need for server-specific features.

> Another person replied to me as well (off-list, and I think it's
> possible that the ML software doesn't "do it's thing properly"
> (reply-to uses the original sender and not the ML's address))

My reply to the mailing list was bounced - you received the email
because you are automatically cc-ed by RoundCube.

> It would seem that all we're missing is CalDav client support for at
> least a one-solution web front.

With every release, the Nextcloud platform is getting closer to reaching
that one-solution webfront. I didn't try it (very) recently, but if they
nail the 'remote calendar' and 'remote addressbook' functionality, you
could just keep using DAViCal and your mailserver software as the
backend and travel back and forth between RoundCube+InfCloud and
NextCloud as the frontend until one or the other has prevailed.

Vincent