[RCU] RCM appears to be the culprit for non-delivery of some emails to GMail addresses

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Mon Sep 3 10:16:14 CEST 2018

People,

This is my setup:

Fedora 28 x86_64 workstation + Firefox <=> Fedora 26 x86_64 Server + RCM
+ QMail + multiple domains <=> Internet

I have multiple email addresses for the multiple domains I run web sites
and mailing lists for - last night when I mailed to someone from phr AT
philiprhoades DOT org to a their GMail address - the mail was not
delivered.  I went through a bit of debugging with the recipient today
and what I know so far is:

- If I use RCM and the phr email address to send mail - even though the
QMail logs say that the mail was successfully delivered - it never
actually arrives - BUT no bounce message is ever received either.

- If I use swaks on the server to send a test email from the phr address
to the same person, it is delivered OK.

- If I use qmail-inject on the server to send the original email that
failed from its Maildir Sent dir to the same person, it is delivered OK.

So it looks like something that RCM is adding to the headers is being
objected to by the GMail servers or something - of course since nothing
is ever actually delivered or bounced, I can't compare the header lines
of the failed emails to the successful emails so I can't make any more
progress trying to work out what the problem is.

I have occasionally had rDNS issues but my diagnostics don't seem to fit
that non-delivery issue . . anyone got any ideas?  Is it possible that
GMail servers can successfully accept emails but then silently fail to
deliver them to recipients?

Thanks,

Phil.
--