[RCU] RCM appears to be the culprit for non-delivery of some emails to GMail addresses

Vincent Van Houtte vvh at aplusv.be
Mon Sep 3 17:27:36 CEST 2018

Hi,

Something seems off, and I would not suspect RC as the first culprit:
* PEBKAC: if the receiver has set up rules to move certain emails to a
folder that (s)he didn't check
* PEBKAC: if the email is in a junkmail folder that wasn't checked
* Qmail bug? Maybe increase log level?
* Other bug? At my wife's office, we hit an Evolution bug last year that
was known for many years, but apparently nobody cared enough to fix it
until we were hit - the client reported that sending had succeeded, but
exim never actually sent the email...

In general, I don't believe Gmail would reject email and not warn either
the sender or the recipient. Did you try the Gmail support form?
https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/2920052?hl=en

If you want, I can give you my gmail.com address (off-list) so you can
send a few testmails to me. I have 0 mail rules set up and know how to
check a junkmail folder, so if that can help you solve the issue, I'd be
more than happy to report to you what I did and did not receive.

Kr,
Vincent

On 2018-09-03 10:16, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> This is my setup:
>
> Fedora 28 x86_64 workstation + Firefox <=> Fedora 26 x86_64 Server +
> RCM + QMail + multiple domains <=> Internet
>
> I have multiple email addresses for the multiple domains I run web
> sites and mailing lists for - last night when I mailed to someone from
> phr AT philiprhoades DOT org to a their GMail address - the mail was
> not delivered.  I went through a bit of debugging with the recipient
> today and what I know so far is:
>
> - If I use RCM and the phr email address to send mail - even though
> the QMail logs say that the mail was successfully delivered - it never
> actually arrives - BUT no bounce message is ever received either.
>
> - If I use swaks on the server to send a test email from the phr
> address to the same person, it is delivered OK.
>
> - If I use qmail-inject on the server to send the original email that
> failed from its Maildir Sent dir to the same person, it is delivered
> OK.
>
> So it looks like something that RCM is adding to the headers is being
> objected to by the GMail servers or something - of course since
> nothing is ever actually delivered or bounced, I can't compare the
> header lines of the failed emails to the successful emails so I can't
> make any more progress trying to work out what the problem is.
>
> I have occasionally had rDNS issues but my diagnostics don't seem to
> fit that non-delivery issue . . anyone got any ideas?  Is it possible
> that GMail servers can successfully accept emails but then silently
> fail to deliver them to recipients?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.

Vincent Van Houtte