[RCU] RCM appears to be the culprit for non-delivery of some emails to GMail addresses

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Mon Sep 3 17:57:31 CEST 2018

Vincent,

On 2018-09-04 01:27, Vincent Van Houtte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Something seems off, and I would not suspect RC as the first culprit:

It was only a guess really - I have since posted a note on the GMail
forum to see if anyone there has any ideas too.

> * PEBKAC: if the receiver has set up rules to move certain emails to a
> folder that (s)he didn't check
> * PEBKAC: if the email is in a junkmail folder that wasn't checked

The recipient insists those are not possibilities - and I have confirmed
that by sending to my own GMail account.

> * Qmail bug? Maybe increase log level?

Possible but unlikely - I will check the verboseness options though . .

> * Other bug? At my wife's office, we hit an Evolution bug last year
> that was known for many years, but apparently nobody cared enough to
> fix it until we were hit - the client reported that sending had
> succeeded, but exim never actually sent the email...

Hmm . . sounds like it . . except I am looking at the qmail server logs
which say the mail was delivered - not just the client info.

> In general, I don't believe Gmail would reject email and not warn
> either the sender or the recipient. Did you try the Gmail support
> form? https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/2920052?hl=en

See above.

> If you want, I can give you my gmail.com address (off-list) so you can
> send a few testmails to me. I have 0 mail rules set up and know how to
> check a junkmail folder, so if that can help you solve the issue, I'd
> be more than happy to report to you what I did and did not receive.

Sure - I have checked it with my own GMail account since and the problem
is consistent but I am happy to triple check if you don't mind . .

Thanks!

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades