[RCU] RCM appears to be the culprit for non-delivery of some emails to GMail addresses

Jeff Ross jross at openvistas.net
Mon Sep 3 17:51:52 CEST 2018

On 9/3/18 9:27 AM, Vincent Van Houtte wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Something seems off, and I would not suspect RC as the first culprit:
> * PEBKAC: if the receiver has set up rules to move certain emails to a
> folder that (s)he didn't check
> * PEBKAC: if the email is in a junkmail folder that wasn't checked
> * Qmail bug? Maybe increase log level?
> * Other bug? At my wife's office, we hit an Evolution bug last year
> that was known for many years, but apparently nobody cared enough to
> fix it until we were hit - the client reported that sending had
> succeeded, but exim never actually sent the email...
>
> In general, I don't believe Gmail would reject email and not warn
> either the sender or the recipient. Did you try the Gmail support
> form? https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/2920052?hl=en

This is simply not true.  Gmail absolutely drops mail after accepting it
from my server.  Worse, it appears to be completely random so most of
the time e-mail that Gmail accepts is delivered. My hunch is that
different servers in their mail pool are configured slightly differently
or their internal routing after delivery is wonky.  I have RC installed
but only one client of mine actually uses it, so I don't think this is a
RC problem either.

Good luck with getting any support from Gmail.  You get what you pay for
with a gmail account.

Jeff