[RCU] Plugin to reset password

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Tue Apr 30 10:16:31 CEST 2019

On 29/04/2019 21:58, Mike Burger wrote:
> On 2019-04-29 08:51, Giles Coochey wrote:
>> On 29/04/2019 13:29, Andreas Meyer wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> There is no plugin available to let a user reset her password, right?
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>>    Andreas
>>
>> If you think about this, you'll realise that the answer is no.
>>
>> Roundcube is simply using the supplied credentials to the IMAP server,
>> which could be on a completely different machine to the one running
>> Roundcube.  Therefore, as within the IMAP protocol, there is no API
>> for changing a user's password Roundcube could not do that by itself.
>>
>> If you're looking for a user self-service method of changing a
>> password, then you'll need to look at the authentication method used
>> by your IMAP server and provide a relevant tool at that end, not on
>> the RoundCube front-end.
>
> Andreas,
>
> As you'll see by way of the two images I've attached, I'm afraid that
> the above response is incorrect.
>
> If you can't find it in <path-to-roundcube>/plugins/password, you can
> find it at:
>
> https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/tree/master/plugins/password

That plugin makes a lot of assumptions (for a lot of use cases it
assumes that RoundCube is installed on the IMAP server systems itself,
which is unlikely, Roundcube is likely to be installed in the DMZ/WEB
tier, whereas mailbox servers are likely to be installed in the APP
tier, fronted by loadbalancers in the DMZ tier), in many use cases it
also requires your to write your own password change module - so at best
it is a skeleton plugin and not ready for easy deployment.