[RCU] Roundcube Webmail 1.4.0 - Elastic released

Thomas Bruederli thomas at roundcube.net
Sat Nov 9 21:52:54 CET 2019

Dear subscribers

It's a big honor for me to announce the final release of the long awaited
major version 1.4 of Roundcube webmail.
After more than two years of hard work by Alec and other volunteer
contributors, Roundcube finally gets the responsive skin with full mobile
device support - the Elastic.

In addition to the new UI we introduce these new features:

* Email Resent (Bounce) feature
* Improved [Mailvelope](https://www.mailvelope.com) integration
* Support for Redis and Memcached cache
* Support for SMTPUTF8 and GSSAPI

Plus numerous improvements and bug fixes collected from your precious
feedback as well as updates to recent versions of 3rd party libraries like
jQuery and TinyMCE. See the full changelog in the release notes on the
Github download page [1].

The new Elastic theme, which is the new default skin, is built with LESS
and of course the sources are included. They allow a certain degree of
customization by adjusting some colors and variables using the
`_styles.less` and `_variables.less` files. Please consider customizing
your Roundcube installation in order to make phishing [2] harder. You'll
find guidance in the README.md file inside the skin folder.

This release is considered stable and we encourage you to update your
productive installations after carefully testing the upgrade scenario and
preparing your users to the significant changes in their webmail UI.
Download it from https://roundcube.net/download.

With the release of Roundcube 1.4.0, the previous stable release branches
1.3.x and 1.2.x will change into LTS low maintenance mode which means they
will only receive important security updates but no longer any regular
improvement updates. The 1.1.x series is no longer supported and maintained.

Kind regards,
Thomas

[1] https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/releases/tag/1.4.0
[2] https://roundcube.net/news/2019/10/28/phishing-alert